Right. It's raining here today on my day off, so instead of heading out on my bike, which was the plan for this morning, I shall attempt to keep this thing updated. I don't know why it's such a challenge, but it is.
Most of you will know we went home to Canada a few weeks ago. I suppose the fact that I just referred to Canada as home will give away my deep seeded feelings about where my heart lies. Not that we really feel like we're fish out of water here, or even that we must return there to live as soon as possible (or indeed, at all), but I do sometimes miss it dreadfully.
So anyway, the original reason for the trip was to attend my dear old friend Andreas' wedding (sorry Jessica, you're dear, but not old yet!), which we did, and which was great. I haven't completely lost touch with all my friends from Canada, but the distance and time change and pace of life over here sure have made it difficult. We spent five days in Edmonton and six in Winnipeg, and crammed in all the people that we could manage. Next time we have to do one city per trip, because although we got to see most people, it was once, and for only a few hours. There were still people we didn't get to see which was definitely disappointing, but such was the case.
I'm not sure that there is much to report without getting into mundane details. We ate plenty of good food (which was actually pretty high on our list of priorities), saw all the people we could, got re-introduced to our little nephews, as they have been busy growing up and becoming little people in our absence, and spent all the quality time with family that we could. The weather was nice, the mosquitoes not bad, and even got a bit of exercise in. All in all, a really good time, albeit way too short and far too busy.
I don't have any idea when we can return. It won't be in the very near future, so some of you have better make it out this way! I'm looking at you, Kath and Nolan (or anyone else).
Since returning, we're right back to the regular routine: long days at work, noses buried in books. I suppose the next plan is to be heading out to Washington for Myra to speak at the Book '08 conference, and we get to see some more friends we haven't seen in ages. If we're lucky, we'll get to stop by magical land of NYC before heading back.
Well, there are little patches of blue sky outside, so I'd better go try and get a cycle in.
Until next time.


2 Comments:
It was great seeing you guys while you were here, though short it was. Thanks for keeping the blog up.
Since we saw you summer has come and gone here. Leaves are turning, and the air is cool already. No mistaking it, winter is near. Bet you wont miss that :-)
It was great to see everyone we could. Next time we'll have to stay longer.
Summer is behind us here too, but it's still mostly green. The leaves don't disappear completely until around January, and almost half the trees never loose them at all. I certainly don't miss Edmonton's (or Winnipeg's) winter, but it does get rather dull and bleak here much of the time.
Post a Comment
<< Home